I finally figured it out. Most of ya'll :) that read this are also Texans, and have from time to time had to answer this question. I finally figured out a really good heart reaching answer that beats: We have more miles of coastline than any other state, if you melted all the ice we probably would be the largest, etc.
In the past few days, I have heard a lot about our soldiers who are fighting, and the sacrifices they have made and are continuing to make. Most of this has been on the Glenn Beck program, one I highly recommend. There are thousands of amazing stories throughout the history of the world of military bravery. If you are able to relate to the stories, in some way, they reach down and tug at your heart, giving you pride among many other emotions.
This is what hit me the other day. I am proud to be a Texan, just like I am proud to be an American, because men fought for my state. Men and women paid the greatest price, so that I am not currently living in Mexico. People who had a vision, and a hope, who were tired of the struggles and wanted independence. Men from all over our great nation came here to help us. Men who are now legends came to San Antonio, Goliad, San Jacinto, etc. because they believed in the same things. What other state can say that?
I am currently in the state of welfare and government gimmes, where no one has fought for anything that I know of. There is even a monument for one of the first Confederate losses to Union troops on the southern side of New Orleans. This place has more French in it than I really want to know. It has been almost two years since Katrina hit, and I know how bad the devastation was because I was here before pretty much anyone else. However, there are FEMA trailers in front of houses that are not in very bad shape. I can understand not having the time or money, or whatever else to get it fixed, but, there are also new cars sitting in front of the same houses. It's not that they can't afford it, it's that they don't want to do it, because they are living for free. There is no pride, and the longer I stay here the more I long for my fellow Texans. My roommate is even moving to Texas from Mississippi to get away from the corruption. He won't hardly ever be there, but he doesn't want to give them any more money than what he has to. By the way, if anyone knows someone in the Hill Country that has some rental property, please let me know ASAP.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
When I am away on vacation in other states I am always amazed at the rudeness of others! In Texas it is easy for people to say hello and briefly ask, 'how's it going?' Looks of confusion cross people's faces when you say good morning or just wave to a passing vehicle in other states. They look at you like you just got off the ship in area 51.
In Texas we still believe in the politeness to strangers. If you show no emotion, compassion, or interest-people will forever remain strangers.
There are rental properties in Helotes, Tx-the key to the TX hill country. And Bandera, Tx-not sure how much land you want. If you have allergies from all the biparticulates you have been breathing...I hear Wimberley is a great place to settle.
Good Luck in your search and welcome HOME.
Thank you for the wonderful words you always know how to write things to invoke emotions. I am beginning to enjoy TX too but not the alergies. I hate them!!!!
Post a Comment